Submitted by Carrie Riggin — Correspondent
Now that its officially spring, has anyone hopped on the scale after months of (somewhat) winter temperatures to be mortified by the number? Well, I did, and lets just say I needed a cocktail afterward.
Its widely known that most of us pack on the pounds during the winter. Gloomy, cold days allow us to get away with piling on the layers and skipping workouts because that usually means emerging from indoors where its toasty and warm.
Well, my friends, whether you like it or not, winter is over and bathing suit season is coming at a rapid speed. Its time to get off the couch, remove your over-sized sweatpants (that I practically lived in the last few months) and get moving.
To help us all, I asked Raleigh-based Meagan Burns certified CrossFit Invoke trainer and employee at LuluLemon to give us her secrets to getting bikini ready fast. The super in-shape trainer shares her top tips to blasting fat, as well as her favorite glute and leg workouts that chisel the bodys lower half.
After all, to look good in a bikini, you have to have a nice tush!
Meagan's tips to get bikini ready
1. Squat more. Doing squats really help.
2. Lift heavy: Its a myth that women can bulk up. After starting CrossFit Invoke which combines intense cardio with strength training I way less and went from 22 percent body fat to 16 percent in less than a year. Weightlifting has ultimately changed my life and my body. I feel stronger, look better and have more self confidence than ever before.
3. Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition: To take your body to the next level, its all about what you put into your body. Following The Paleo Diet, which encourages us to eat like our early ancestors (lots of natural foods like fruits, plants/vegetables, protein and nuts) helps the body cinch fat. Once I actually committed to keeping a food journal (and not eating a cupcake a day!), I started feeling better, having more energy and finally started to see glimpses of my abs.
Booty toning exercises for the bikini trouble zones
1. Variations of the Squat (back, front and air squat): A deep lunge, creating a 90-angle, as well as using proper form is KEY. Squatting really lifts and tones the booty! I went from having absolutely no junk in the trunk to having something to show back there in my jeans!
2. Jumping Lunges (power lunges): Tones quadriceps, hamstrings and glutes. Regular lunges work too, but the jump raises the heart rate, burning more calories and thus blasting fat.
3. Box Jumps: The legs and glutes develop stronger muscular power with doing reps of box jumps. You can do this anywhere! Find a ledge at a park or simply a wooden box about 20 inches high. Box jumps can be a little intimidating at first but they are worth it and completely safe and effective.
4. Burpees: Start in a plank position. Lower down into a pushup (chest to the floor), then jump into a full squat (keeping your weight in your heels) and finish up with a vertical jump, clapping overhead. Doing ten burpees in a row is a workout in itself! There are different variations but this way (the CrossFit Invoke standard) will help you quickly tone-up the lower half.
5. Kettle bell swings or deadlifts: These two movements are used to tone up the back part of your leg and glute (as well as the lower back giving you that nice arch). As long as the two are done with good form your backside will have heads turning and everyone wondering what you are doing!
If you want to get bikini ready with Meagan first-hand join her this spring and summer for boot camp. Camps are every Monday, Wednesday, Friday at Pullen Park and consists of only body-weight movements (no weightlifting). It's perfect for all fitness levels and is a fun way to get your booty movin'! Contact Meagan via email for more info. You can also visit CrossFit Invoke in downtown Raleigh for classes or one-on-one training.
Together lets shed those unwanted winter pounds and create a head-turning, knockout, killer bikini bod.
And to keep each other accountable, tweet me pictures of your progress: @CarrieRiggin.
You can do it!